My IUD Nightmare – Common Mirena IUD Side Effects

Three weeks after giving birth to Brooklin I got my IUD. The thought was great, no period, no worry about birth control. It all seemed so simple.

On December 16th 2009 I had my very first panic attack. I quickly called two of my closest friends and explained what was happening. I couldn’t breathe and had the feeling that I wanted to jump right out of the car. I couldn’t sit still and I couldn’t stand to be in my own skin. See we were driving to California on a family road trip at the time.  I stayed on the phone with my friend Sandra and after a while I felt like I needed to throw up. It honestly was the scariest thing to ever happen to me and I’ve never felt that way before.

My Mirena side effects include:

• Headaches
  • Mood swings
  • Panic attacks and anxiety
  • heart palpitations (or so I think, it sure feels like it)
  • sleeplessness
  • back pain
  • Hair loss

Fast forward to tonight. I was home alone with Brooklin and all of a sudden waves of panic came over me. My heart started to race and I tried to just brush it off. I’ve found sometimes I am able to work through the anxiety. So thinking this time wouldn’t be different I just continued to play with Brooklin. Trying to take my mind off of it I just sat and talked to her. She’s a good listener by the way. Then all of a sudden it was like I wasn’t breathing. My brain started to say “Kristin breathe” but I just wasn’t breathing. Immediately I jumped up and grabbed Brooklin knowing that if I was talking then I was breathing. I’ve never had things like this happen to me. EVER! I have been very reluctant to talk about it because I feel so out of control.

Del finally got home and by that time I was in tears. He’s been thinking all along something is up with the IUD so he did some reading over other peoples experiences with their IUD’s. After the headaches started he kept telling me it was, and he’s so right.

I am perfectly happy. I have a loving family and no real stress. I live a good life. So why is this happening to me?

It is terrifying. I am afraid to be alone.

I’m having this IUD removed and if anyone out there reads this talk to your doctor.   Know the side effects, had I’d known this was going to happen I would have never gotten this thing. It’s inside me, and it’s taking over my body and my mind.

If you have or had an IUD I’d like to know your experience.

1. Mad as Hell!! on December 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

One other thing I would like to add is the fact that no one can make these crazy symptoms up–It is not just ironic that gals are going to the internet looking for answers and speaking the same language, words like scarey, jump out of my skin, weird, what is anxiety I have never felt like this before especially waking up in the middle of the night, life was good what happened?, heart palpating, numbness, doctors denying it all and saying nothing is wrong with you……etc. etc. etc. But the biggest and craziest is the anxiety and no one can make up all these crazy symptoms unless you have experienced them!! Sazzle is right when they blogged that the mirena is not a IUD it is a IUS, it is a complete system that takes over your whole system and runs it and takes control and it is not normal and our bodies know it but the two can’t function together, and girls are paying the side effects of it!! I am so disappointed that traditional doctors are not even willing to look into it, it is a big money maker and the only help you might get is from homeopathic doctors who have open minds and really listen to our bodies. It needs to be taken off the market!!!!

2. Mad as Hell!! on December 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I am wanting to help gals that are going through the night mare of the mirena. I wish so bad that I could say that it is over for me but I am still fighting it 3 months later. I had it in 21 months and questioned my changing personality but at 16 months my life turned completely upside down with waking up at 2 in the morning with a major panic attack, like a lot of you, I didn’t even know what a panic attack was and it is not normal!! Damn uncaring doctors!!! I final realized after 2 months of going down hill physically and mentally that is was the mirena. Even after getting it out my body from what I have learned is still trying to get functioning again. All the synthetic harmones and toxins it dumped in me just completely messed up all my systems in functioning. Ya think getting it out is going to fix it but it actually makes it worse because then your body goes into shock because it has to function again and it has quit because the mirena just took over and was functioning for you. My anxiety is still so real, I have so many symptoms still that some days I think i can’t live like this anymore but I know of gals who have killed themselves because of this evil device. I am a mom and have to function and don’t want to give up but I also want to help any gals that I can. I have learned a lot about how it messes you up but I am not even sure if I will ever be normal again someday but I am fighting hard, just like a lot of you. You have to have a ton of faith and I truly appreciate all the gals that have blogged their stories because it is helping comfort me and giving me hope. Any of you who take a chance with having the evil device placed you are insanely crazy!! It is not worth it, why take a chance after all the gals that are going through hell have warned you!! You will be playing Russian Rollet!!!

3. tina on December 2, 2011 at 11:57 am

I have had alot of the same issues with the mirena. i have had hair loss after the birth of my daughter-which I had after the birth of my son as well. This was not a symptom of mirena-just hormones and birth. But my hair after mirena is dry,as is my skin. I am an older mom but I from looks, my face has aged by years in the last 6 months. I was losing weight after the baby was born. Then, 2 months later got the mirena. I gained 10 lbs. It is virtually imposible for me to lose the weight. I actually work a construction job. We are talking physical labor. 10 hour days, 6 days a week. It took 8 weeks of this physical activity plus a very restrictive meal plan to lose 5 lbs. I find myself feeling anxious-no attacts though. I find that even lighting some incense and drinking some tea will not stop this feeling. I never had that before. I,too, suffer from migraines. These got worse ALOT worse, when the time for my period was supposed to come. I have difficulty sleeping. Excessive tiredness, fogginess, lack of sex drive, funky discharge,short temper. All things I never had before the mirena. I talked with my doctor. She told me to take some midol. She told me she would give me some antidepressants. Why on earth would you need meds to help you manage your birthcontrol symptoms? I am getting rid of the mirena at my next doctor visit. This is just a huge con job. My sister has the mirena. She does not have any issues, maybe because she is 10 years younger than I am. My other sister, also younger than myself, tried the mirena. She was luck because her body rejected it twice. She got another form of birth control. I hope that after the removal of mirena, I will get back to normal.

4. Jacki on October 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for your post – I thought I was losing my mind. Im at a better point in life than I have ever been and have been having the same problems for months now, and it wasn’t til the last month that I couldn’t deal with it anymore, and seaked help (cause the panic attacks were worse) I have anxiety attacks maybe 2 times out of my life before mirena, but were over in minuts. All the things I read on anxiety were not long lasting, but this last month I have had at least 5 Panic Attacks – shortes being 30mins and longest being 5 hours. I got mirena in Jan 09 – notice symptoms of moodiness right away – but like many thought it was the new baby, then I became dizzy/lightheaded from time to time after 3 months, figured it was cause of larger work load, so all that came and went for a year and half or so, but come may of 2011 I started to have bad headaches (never had headaches other than occasionally during pregnancy), feeling that I was going to pass out, fatigue, could breath, etc didn’t occur to me to be an attack. Until this pass month when it all intensified, and episodes started lasting hours!!!! Making me unable to do work etc….Went to the doctor a 2nd time (first time ran bloodwork and had low wbc count and vitamin d, fixed that)…she said she can’t find anything medically wrong with me and that i need to see a neurologist or psychotherapist (??). I said but I’m should be fine, things are great for me in life, better than ever, I haven’t had a tramatic event etc……I just gave up and didn’t go back. I had one more bad attack and started doing my own research on all my symptoms, and the only thing that could be related everyone was anxiety/panic disorders etc. I am praying to God that it is my mirena!! I want to feel as happy as I should! The only things I agonize over are my attacks and if I’m losing my mind/control!

Christie – my symptoms were nothing I couldn’t handle til 2 years after the mirena, so it could happen eventually. Praying that it doesn’t!

Feel free to contact me via facebook people – facebook.com/jackirenee

5. Christie on September 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I had Mirena placed 4 months ago. I occasionally experience a little cramping but it is manageable. I have always battled depression off and on throughout my life but I do not feel as though Mirena has intensified my battle. The most annoying side effect has been the excessive hair on my chest. I have not had any side effects that were not expected. I am considering having it removed because my boyfriend insists on still using a condom. I am very fortunate that I have not experienced some of the terrible things all of you are brave enough to share. Because of the testimonies shared I have realized that just because my experience has been so far so good, 4 months is not long enough for my Mirena story to have credibility. I will not wait for any other side effects before I have it removed. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

6. sazzle on July 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm

The Mirena is an IUS, not an IUD. An IUD is a copper coil where as the Mirena is a hormone coil, or an inter-uterine system, Not an inter uterine device (IUD)

7. jenny on May 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm

these are very helpful to read – thank you. i finally realized that the mirena might be responsible for my seemingly sudden onset of panic attacks (first one out of the blue while driving and with my little boy in the back, and it ended up that i was taken by ambulance to the ER). since then i have not had such big ones but i have been foggy/dizzy and though is till drive i am totally freaked out by it and have to concentrate so hard to get to where i am going. i got the IUD out this afternoon and now feel relieved but also worried by what people say seems to be a hard readjustment time as well – i hope it will go well. it has been too scary and disconcerting and i hate that the dr gave me no warnings, though i asked, and never made the link of panic attacks to mirena. i am going to try to take it really easy for the next few weeks (with three kiddos, yeah right!) but i mean i just want to be with them and my husband and no stress and hopefully re-find who i am. feeling very upset by all this but hope there are better days ahead now.

8. Ganae on March 31, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I had Mirena put in almost 3 years ago for a medical condition called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) At first I loved having it because for 6 years prior to that I was having very heavy bleeding sometimes for 3 weeks at a time, from PCOS and the IUD dramatically decreased the bleeding until I stopped having a period all together. After awhile I began to get panic attacks which is something I have NEVER experienced before along with insomnia. I’ve been slowly thinking I was losing my mind until my sister mentioned how she was feeling the same symptoms I was and she has Mirena as well and after finding countless testimonies from other women, I know Mirena is the culprit and my sister and I both are getting it removed ASAP!!

9. Patty on March 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I got the marina inserted on January 4 well after 3 weeks I started bleeding heavy like a reg period, but now it’s been almos three months and I’m still bleeding and still heavy I’m tire if it my husband hates it and I’m ready to have it remove…

10. Kristin on March 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your stories.

11. rachel on February 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

hey katie i also am a victim of the mirena i had mine removed july of 2010 i had it in for 2 months and i feel better but panic attacks still come at times,,, i hate the mirena i wish i would have known before what it does to some women i also thought i was going crazy untill i read this site… good luck

12. My IUD Nightmare – Life After Mirena — Our Ordinary Life on February 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm

[…] remember one year ago life was an up and down in and out emotional mess. I was a wreck emotionally, and even more so […]

13. Katie on January 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I got the mirena on december 22 2009. I have a 4 1/2 year old son and Im engaged to his father and have a happy little family. I was always a calm and relaxed person(until I got the mirena). About 2 weeks after getting the mirena I had my first ever panick attack. It was the scarriest thing ever. I couldn’t breath,I was dizzy,lightheaded,my chest hurt and I just felt so out of body. It lasted for about 6 hours. After that day I started getting them weekly and now almost daily. I cannot sleep at all at night and am always soooo tired! Im calling the doctor this week to get this sucker out! Im just hoping I go back to normal. I literaly thought I was going crazy until I read about others experiences. I havent felt myself since two weeks after I got it and cannot wait to feel normal again!

14. Bella on October 21, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Hi…Ive just read your post and it took me back to my terrifying experiences with the monster mirena! I had a baby in December 2009 and decided to try Mirena at 6 weeks postpartum. Everything was fine at first…I loved it…until the rollercoaster to hell began! I normally suffer from migraines and have for about 10 years now. However, since mirena they became excruciating, lets say on a scale of 1-10 (1 being tolerable and 10 being insane pain) it was an 11 if not more. My migraines turned into heat, tingling, twisting pain with sounds, I could actually hear a pulse or loud beat in the side of my head. I honestly thought that a vein or something was going to burst in my brain and that I would die that day. I ended up in ER twice from this. About a month after that I noticed extreme pain in my chest, shortness of breath, numbness etc..classic symptoms of a panic attack. Again…thought I was dying as I had my first episode in the middle of the night at rest. Felt like a heart attack would feel! Anyways…I told the ER doctors that all this began since I started on Mirena…all thought I was being unreasonable except for one understanding nurse who said it was possible. After I had it removed a month after that..I still had the panic attacks occasionally, but my migraines have decreased drastically, and as a matter of fact, changed completely. It is no longer throbbing twisting pain, but rather tingling burning sensations with very mild pain. Strange after 10 years of experiencing severe pain! Anyhow…the panick attacks are almost completely gone and I personally believe Mirena did all this to me! Doctors need to look into this more as I have heard numerous stories about problems with it!

Furious yet relieved,
    Bella

15. vironica on October 9, 2010 at 8:07 am

I too have had life altering changes due to the Mirena. I had my IUD in for the total of 5 years and thought it was great! I had some anxiety, some bloating and breast tenderness while using. It wasn’t till after I had my IUD removed that my nightmare began. 4 days post mirena I had debilitating anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and every doctor I saw ( I saw 4) did not think it was due to the Mirena, of course. I was given anti depressants, anti anxiety meds, hormones and things seemed to be getting worse. i have to tell you this has been the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life. When something starts to mess with your mind that is scary!!!!!! I was never like this before. It has been exactly 23 days post mirena removal I have stopped taking all the meds the doctors prescribed and feel a little better. i am going to see a nutrtionist soon. She states this was very common and she would help me get through this hormone flucuation quicker. I want to get back to my old self again. I miss my old self and I intend to get through this soon!! There is light at the end of the tunnel and I intend to get there! Mirena has been a nightmare for me I widh I had never gotten it in the first place

16. Do Some Mom Bloggers affect All Other Mom Bloggers? — Del The Dad on October 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm

[…] you actually use the find function and search mom, it comes to the part about mom central.  My wife Kristin had a personal experience with Mirena which is the other reason I know this product is not good.  Also if you search the net, many had […]

17. Adrienne on September 14, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I was on YAZ for years and decided with the recall that I would try the Mirena 6 weeks (10/08) after my son was born. I was over the period for the baby blues so I thought I would be ok. WRONG! I began not being able to sleep which I attributed to being a worried new Mom… then when that period was over the restlessness continued. I began to grind my teeth in my sleep so loud my sons father would wake me to tell me to stop grinding my teeth. I went to my PCP and explained I couldnt sleep I was grinding my teeth and just felt miserable. Strangely I still had milk as well and hadnt breast fed my son since he was 7 months old. They told me could be depression and hormonal imbalances. So I was put on Celexa and told to wear tight fitting bras at night. Now I’ve had bouts with anxiety but nothing like this. The Celexa helped for about 2 months. Then, My body began to ache all over and FINALLY sent me to the hospital with excruciating R side pain. I thought I had appendicitis…. ultrasound showed nothing CT nothing. A week later I began to have the absolute WORST smelling arm pit odor I have ever experienced in my life. I was an athlete and NEVER had a problem with excessive sweating and never had odor. I called the pharmacist thinking it was the new medication and was told this is not a documented side effect. What else could it be but the Mirena??? This was the final straw. I made an appointment to have it removed. When all was said and done the Mirena had floated off in my uterus and had to blindly be pulled out. I felt an overwhelming sense of relief once it was removed. My side stopped hurting and my stomach didn’t feel bloated RIGHT AWAY! I’m sure this IUD works for some but I think for most the experience is horrible. I’m not on Loestrin 24FE and have been for 3 days. Milk has dried up and I had some spotting (a little more than usual) assuming since I didnt have a period for 2 years with Mirena, thats why. We shall see…. I would not recommend the MIRENA IUD to ANYONE… everyone I know that has had it has had it removed within 2 years or is a complete nut bag doped up on depression and anxiety pills.

18. Lisa on September 6, 2010 at 4:50 pm

@:Miranda,
    I think because I was on Prozac almost the entire time I had the Mirena , it covered up and took care of the panic attacks. But once I got off Prozac; boy did the panic attacks come. I’m back on 3x the Prozac I was originally on and klonopin 2 x a day. I’m really angry about this whole thing! Do I feel better because the Mirena’s out, or do I feel better because I’m on a triple dose of anti-depressants!?!

19. miranda on September 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Well I had the mirena dor a year and it made me bleed for half a month and my dr finally took it out and checked for infection. No infection and now I’m having panic attacks also! Even weeks after it was taken out…don’t see how people keep it for 5 years!

20. rachel on August 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Lisa,
    thank you so much, you are so very helpful to me.. and i might try the antidepressent for a while and see wt happens. I just got over my 1st period since the mirena was removed and the panic attack and anxiety were at there worst. i feel like i look at these website all the time B/ cuz i feel no one else is feeling wt i feel and they dont understand.. im so glad all these women post there symptoms it has really helped me. thank you all so much.. rachel

21. Lisa on August 4, 2010 at 6:49 am

Rachel,
    Can you go to your family doctor and speak to him/her about it? I printed off many pages from many blogs and showed it to my family doctor, my NEW gyn, and my psychiatrist. All these women are not making up all these similar symptoms. I think it’s time we educate our doctors. You could try the 5htp which you can get at a regular drugstore; this increases the level of serotonin. And for sure take the Super B Complex every day. You should see you family doctor before you take the 5htp even though it is over the counter. I’m not pushing the idea of taking anti-depressants by any means; I’ve had to take them for panic attacks before and they do help me. But they are what has been most helpful at getting me through this nightmare. Every person is different; just don’t take Wellbutrin, it is not recommended for people who have anxiety and panic. You might want to try something just to help get you through this Mirena nightmare and then stop. That’s what my plan is with my psychiatrist. He completely believes it is the Mirena because I took all the printouts of all of us having the same issues.
    I am still having breakthrough anxiety (not panic attacks, thank God) even on prozac and klonopin. But it is manageable and only happens when I’m ready to get my period. Like you, I’ve only had it out for a month too. I can’t wait to get my life back either. Like I said, I’m not pushing the antidepressants; just sharing with you what helped me. Let me know how you’re doing. I wish you the best!!! And know you are NOT alone.
    Lisa

22. rachel on August 3, 2010 at 6:59 pm

t That wt i want to know, im just so relieved im not the only one feeling this way…@:

23. rachel on August 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

ok ive had the mirena out for a month now and im, still having some anxiety, and i cant focus how long till i get to normal. i try to tell my obgyn what happen to me and they want to put me on antidepressents.. it like there not listening. it make me so sad that women have to go through this and be told it not the mirena when obviously not all these women had it in for the same amount of time and having the same exact symptoms as me..
    i just want my life back…

24. Lisa on August 3, 2010 at 6:04 am

Yes, things do get better, I promise!!! The panic attacks DO go away! It takes some time for the mirena hormones to get out of your system. This will be my second period since having it removed and I feel a little edginess, but nothing close to a panic attack. But I am on Prozac to help ease me through. I’m also 44 and in perimenopause which is another factor not in my favor. I’m sure my hormones are all over the place.
    Type in Mirena crash in your Google bar and it tells you a little bit more what other women went through after they had theirs removed.
    Ny doctor recommended these vitamins for me specifically to help me through the Mirena crash. I take a Super B Complex vitamin, a B6 vitamin, Vit E, Vit C, and fish oil. The B vitamins are especially good to support your nervous system. Some women also take 5 htp. I don’t take that because that works similarly to the SSRI anti-depressants.
    Good luck Kayleigh!

25. Kayleigh on August 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm

please tell me you got better! i have went thru the exact same thing since i got mine in sept 07. I just had mine removed about two weeks ago. Do the anxiety/panic attacks go away???

26. Lisa on July 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm

My experience with the Mirena has been a nightmare to say the least. I’m very sensitive hormonally; suffered postpartum panic attacks after my daughter was born in 2001. I was put on Prozac which relieved my panic attacks. My gyn told me the Mirena would be perfect for me. I immediately gained belly and breast weight. Went back to her and asked if this could be caused by the hormones in the Mirena. She looked at me as if I were crazy and told me it’s called “eating less and moving more”! So I kept it in for the 5yrs and had a new one reinserted; and have had it for a year and a half. My daughter is now 9, so I weaned myself properly off prozac. Within two weeks I experienced such horrible panic attacks that I went to crisis at the hospital. They prescribed sleeping pills; not what I needed. Went back on my Prozac and felt better and then my doctor changed my med to Wellbutrin. I took it for 13 days and went into a 3 day non stop panic attack state. I admitted myself in the hospital and suffered 3 more days of the non stop panic attacks. Finally the Prozac and klonopin brought me out of it. I felt I was going insane and would never recover. My new gyn, gp, and psychiatrist all believe that all of this was due to the Mirena; and that the Prozac was masking the symptoms until I went off of it. I got the Mirena out and got a very heavy, clotting period the day after it was removed. I’m so much better now, but am on more meds then I was before to control the panic attacks. I”m Mirena free for 23 days now and I’m starting to feel some anxiety break through; maybe my period is coming. I also experienced depresssion, hair loss, irritability, acne, heart palpitations, was ravenously hungry all the time, went from an A cup to a D cup, bloated all the time looking 4 months pregnant, and gained 40 pounds. Since I’ve had the Mirena removed, my breasts and belly have gone down significantly, am not hungry all the time, I’ve lost ten pounds, rarely irritable, acne is better and panic attacks have lessened considerably. I am extremely angry and feel betrayed by my previous gyn who should have known that breast enlargement and bloating are listed as some of the most common side effects; as is nervousness.

Best of luck to all of us who have suffered greatly from the MIrena. It does get better. All of your posts helped my peace of mind. Thank you

27. Delilah on July 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I too have been a victim of Mirena. I just got it out today, praise the lord! I had mine in for 15 months. Over this time I had frequent cramping worse than usual menstrual cramping, back pain so bad that it has been debilitating, hair loss (I have really thick hair and you can now see my scalp), and more UTIs than I have had my entire life prior to having this put in, and I gained about 20 lbs and have not been able to lose any weight. When I first asked my doctor to remove it she tried to talk me out of it and convinced me to give it more time. Finally I had had enough and months later I wouldn’t take no for an answer. I had to push to have this thing removed. I’ve felt like a prisoner of Mirena. I’m so glad it’s out now and look forward to getting back to my old self.

28. rachel on July 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm

OMG!!!! i had all the symptoms and i only had the mirena for 2 months and i starting having panic attack i didnt even no what was going on with me and im a nurse… untill i read all these different web site where women were having all these same symptoms i was scared but so relieved i found an answer and im not going crazy yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. M. Kornick on May 26, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I have had the Mirena IUD for 14 months now and have decided to have it removed. I turned 48 last year and was just beginning to have vry minor symptoms of menopause. I was told that this IUD would help to control the heavy changes in my monthly cycle and, most likely, breeze through menopause with very few symptoms.

I was not prepared for the pain of the insertion and found it to be quite upsetting. I have had irregular bleeding and spotting ever since – my cycle did not go away. I have to wear a tampon almost every day because, if I am not spotting, I am having enough of a discharge that it is uncomfortable and messy if I do not use a tampon. I just don’t think it is healthy for me to have to do this everyday.

I have gained over 20 lbs. in the last 14 months. I am an avid hiker and have not changed any of my lifestyle patterns (e.g. exercise, eating, etc.) so I know it is the IUD that has caused the gain.

About 6 months after insertion, I began to have swelling, itching and pain in my breasts…more so in the left breast, making me lopsided. I had to buy new bras and have had ongoing boughts with this ever since.

It just isn’t worth it to keep it in, given the discomfort it is causing. Considering how painful it was to have it inserted…I am very concerned about what I will have to experience to have it removed.

30. Ellen on May 5, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I would NEVER EVER recommend an IUD to anyone for any reason. Here’s why- in 1979 (yeah before some of you were born!) I got a copper CU7 -the latest thing on the market (sounds just like the latest one out now huh?) – was told there were no side effects/ complications. I had just had my first child, couldnt take the pill, I was young and back then there was no shot. I had it put in maybe in July of 1979 after having a baby in April.
    In August 1979 , I am feverish, and am hospitalized. Treated and released. In 1986 after a remarriage, I decide we want to have children- IUD is removed. No kids… In 1989, after trying for several years, I had an ectopic pregnancy
    Fast forward-= come to find out that all the infertility is a DIRECT result of the IUD. Our only option was infertility treatments we could not afford, and by then being in my 30’s the chances of having children had dropped. (this was in the very late 80s/early 90s technology has advanced) There was a lawsuit, but the time limit had run out- not all of us were told or knew how dangerous an IUD was.
    Supposedly from then on (after lawsuit) the IUD was only supposed to be used for women who wanted no more children, were in a stable relationship (1 partner) and several other conditions. Reading this, I see thats not always been the case 🙁
    I would advise anyone with an IUD who is even thinking of having children to get it removed ASAP. Find another method of birth control – anything- but no IUD.
    I found another birth control method THANKS to an IUD -it was infertility and my choice was taken away of ever being a Mother again.
    Please ladies- consider another option.

31. Jenna Wood on May 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I don’t have an IUD but I did take ‘the shot’ over a year ago- and have never been the same since! Headaches, insomnia, dizzyness, weight gain (about 20 pounds), panic attacks, and no period for 8 months- then it returned for 2 normal months, and haven’t had one since December! This is NOT normal for a 23 year old female in good health! Birth control is scary!

32. Jenn Mann 39 on April 20, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog and had to tell my story! I had my mirena removed today!!! I have had it for 9 months not for birth control but to help with extremely heavy, long periods. I have been struggling with massive anxiety and full blown panic attacks for a couple of months now. I thought I was going crazy and losing my mind. I have been ashamed and embarrassed to tell everyone around me and have been trying to hide it and just get it together. I finally exploded on my husband and told him how horrible I have been feeling!! I told everyone at work too……..this was after I had finally mentioned it(the panic) to a good girlfriend of mine and she told me another one of our freinds had the same symptoms and had her mirena removed. Until then I didnt assosiate it with the mirena at all. After talking to her she recommended I do some reading online and I just wanted to cry!!! I wasnt crazy………tons of women were suffering just as I was. My husband called my Doctor and told them I wanted it out. They got me in the very next day and my nurse practioner was wonderful! I do truely believe my symptoms were caused by mirena……….and by the way my blood pressure was 156/92 today……….totally high for me and has been for every visist since mirena was placed!!! I am SO glad I got it removed and want to warn everyone considering getting it. I love my job and have been there for 12 years…….my panic was so horrible I could hardly go there everyday…I was having so many attacks at work. I felt so out of control I thought I was losing my mind!!! I hope this helps someone……….reading all of your posts have helped me so much and convinced me to get it out and get my normal life back!!!

33. Thursday Thirteen – Such A Turn On! on April 14, 2010 at 7:04 pm

[…] pressure periodically. Yesterday on Twitter, a tweep tweeted a link to a blog post written by Kristin detailing her trouble with Mirena. While her complications were much different than mine, I feel […]

34. Julie From Inmates on April 7, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Oh, and one more thing. My Doctor convinced me that the hormone released by the IUD is ONLY released into the uterus and therefore could not effect my blood pressure (which is the major problem I had with the IUD – as in 210/165 high). I contacted Bayer, the manufacturers of the Mirena and was told by a nurse that even though the hormone is released into the uterus, it is then released in small amounts into the body. In other words, it becomes systemic. The hormone can be measured in your plasma. Within two days of having the IUD removed, my blood pressure was lowered. Within 2 weeks, it was almost perfect again. I also gained 20 pounds, had horrible acne, expereienced chest “tightening” and limb tingling. I thought I was having a heart attack. Very scary.

35. Julie From Inmates on April 7, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I saw this tweet on Twitter and had to pop over and read this. I told about my experience over on my blog – From Inmates To Playdates. If you’re interested, you can read about it right here. http://www.frominmatestoplaydates.com/2010/02/05/a-long-windy-tail/ – I suspect you’ll find that you will feel better within days of having the thing removed from your body. My complications were much different but very serious.

36. Kirsty on April 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Never experienced any of these side effects, had it in for 1 1/2 years so far.

37. Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) on April 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm

So scary… I’m sooooo relieved that you’ve warned me so that I don’t try it.

I have terrible panic attacks and I can relate to how terrified you must be. Panic attacks are the WORST thing ever!!!!

38. UPDATE on the Mirena situation. « Brooke Van Gory Designs on April 6, 2010 at 9:03 pm

[…] here about her horrible experience with the IUD from hell. Kristin blogged about her Mirena hell here. Amanda talks about her Mirena experience here. Sick, right? This makes me SICK! These women are a […]

39. Sheena @ Sophistishe on March 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I’ve been on the Mirena for about 2 years now and I haven’t had any problems with it – at least I don’t think so. I have some trouble in social situations if I don’t know people and I hate dealing with having the spotlight. It’s me, not the IUD. I wondered if it could be breaking out my face, but I stopped drinking so much soda, and increased my water intake. Honestly, if we could easily afford having another child, I’d have it removed. I don’t like the thought of artificial birth control that could be altering me in other ways, but money doesn’t grow on trees….sigh.

I’m sorry you are dealing with this :(.

P.S. The Depo Provera shot sucks. Now THAT gave me some bad side effects…

40. Lori on March 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I have had the Mirena for maybe 9 months now. I was always a big believer in the pill, it had worked great for me. Then, I found out I was protein S deficient, just barely, and just like that…no more pills. My doctor suggested the Mirena, even though I have never had children. I was told it would hurt, a lot, to put in, but then that would be it. And it did hurt, a whole lot, but in a couple of days I was back to myself….or so I thought. A couple of months past that I started breaking out all over my back. I thought it was stress and wrote it off. Then I started getting panic attacks…driving down the road coming from work. I went to see a doctor about then and he told me, anxiety, from a stressful job…nothing to worry about. I’ve been driving that route to and from work for 2 1/2 years. I also gained weight, around 12 pounds. Again, I was told that I was just getting older (I’ll be 30 in a couple of months), and my job was stressful. I’ve been wondering for a while about the Mirena and whether or not it was responsible for all of the changes in me. The irritability and moodiness, shortness of breath, weight gain, fatigue and acne. I’ve decided to talk to my doctor about getting it removed. I don’t know what my next birth control option will be, and if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. There has to be something better out there than this!!

41. Stef @ Mommy Musings on March 19, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have experienced those same things but had never had an IUD. Literally out of the blue.

42. Brandy on March 18, 2010 at 9:09 am

I have had mirena since Feb. of 08 and have never really had any problems. The first 4 months i bled like crazy, now i have a minimal period. I am losing my hair like crazy, and am having weight gain, but thats it. everyone reacts to it different, at first it was horrible, but i just waited i couldn’t stand the thought of being pregnant again.

43. The Jacobsen Family on March 18, 2010 at 12:05 am

I had the same IUD and had it removed from complications too! I had horrible headaches, tons of hair loss, horrible abdominal pain (which I later learned was because it was implanted wrong!), insomnia, and I was bleeding horribly every month (I did not experience no periods… SUCKED!). I read tons of horror stories from it too, and when I spoke to my dr about it she brushed it off and said none of the ‘symptoms’ I experienced had anything to do with Mirena. When I told her about everything I read online she told me “you can find anything you want to find online if you look hard enough”. I was SO frustrated! I told her to remove it, and within a month ALL of the symptoms were gone!
    GET YOURS OUT ASAP!! Who knows what could be next for you?

44. Naomi on March 17, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Oh, no- so scary. Definitely talk to your doctor about the side effects. But be glad that you and Del know each other well enough to peg the problem!

45. Chelle on March 17, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Oh, honey, I am SO sorry. Panic attacks are horrible. I’m hoping that once it is removed this will be resolved.

I was on Yaz after I had Madelyn. Um, I had to stop taking it. I felt like I was going insane.

xo

46. Joanna on March 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm

This is horrible. I can’t believe the side effects! Wow. I am glad that your going to get it removed and not live life like that. It’s not a livable life at all.

I have been taking bc pills and was thinking about getting an IUD because the pills are making me depressed. Severely. However after reading your experience there is no way that I will even discuss the IUD.

47. Liz on March 17, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I need to write a post about this also. I’ve had the Mirena for over 2 1/2 years, and I’ve experienced headaches, weight gain, hairloss, severe mood swings, and I’m sure many more of the documented side effects. I am hoping to get my Mirena removed in a couple of months. I’m so glad that you are getting yours removed and I hope that all side effects subside!!

48. uberVU - social comments on March 17, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by ourordinarylife: New Blog Post: My IUD Nightmare – Mirena IUD Side Effects .

49. Jennifer @ J. Leigh Designz on March 17, 2010 at 11:35 am

The shot had horrible side effects as well. I was off that SO fast! If I can ever get preggers I am tying my tubes! Solves all my problems. I don’t want more then three 🙂

50. CrAzY Working Mom on March 17, 2010 at 9:57 am

YIKES! That sounds scary. I never had an IUD. I used the pill (before my tubes were tied after #3). Thankfully I never really suffered any major side effects. I think you’re making the right decision having it removed. Panic attacks are not good for anyone, much less a mother of young children. I’m glad you had the heart to post this for other women out there who might be suffering from the same trauma you are!!

51. Rebecca Orr on March 17, 2010 at 8:49 am

Kristin, I am really sorry that you are going through this. I have the Mirena IUD myself. I Have had it in since July 2007. So far, I have had some weight gain. I also have mood swings occasionally, and I guess you could say that I do get anxious sometimes. I am not sure if it is from the Mirena or not. I think that I have always been prone to getting anxious in situations…and usually for no reason at all. My fiancee and I have been talking about having another baby…so I might get it taken out just because of everything you are going through….and after reading what Jasmine’s (reader comment above mine) doctor had to say. I didn’t know all this stuff. At the time, I just new that I would forget to take pills, didn’t want to deal with shots, didn’t want to deal with condoms…etc. I wanted something fast and easy. Yep…after writing this…I am definitely going to have my doc take it out. Good luck to you.

52. Jasmine on March 17, 2010 at 7:31 am

I was also going to get one after i had my second daughter, but when i went to see my doctor about it he said no way. They can make you sterile, and get pelvic inflammatory disease, as well as leave scar tissue the equivalent to having multiple abortions inside you, which will make it harder to vaginally deliver, if you do get pregnant. There is such a problem out there today, we live in a society that promotes birth control and doesnt promote our safety, its anti pregnant at all costs it seems to me. Its dangerous that a doctor will promote various forms of birth control such as the IUD without explaining all the risks, i can understand promoting birth control to underage girls, but even then is it worth making them sterile without them knowing the risk? i dont know im rambling, but ive had so many friends affected by birth control side effects its ridiculous. i hope your ok

53. Bren on March 17, 2010 at 4:43 am

The list of side effects was the reason I didn’t have it put in two years ago. I reacted badly the last time I was on the pill and was petrified of having something (semi) permanently inside of me. Good luck!

54. Carolyn Go on March 17, 2010 at 4:32 am

OMG that happened to my friend. SHe thought she was going crazy. She never ever thought it was the IUD until our other friend read up on it. After a little research, she saw the side effects and got it taken out. She has been fine ever since. She is now taking birth control pills and although there are some side effects with those, she is no longer getting panic attacks. How scary. I have had panic attacks and I can say there is nothing worse than that feeling. ((hugs))

55. Belinda P on March 16, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Wow Kristin! That is very scary. I’m so glad I read this I was just about to get the Mirena at my 6 week appt. Now I think I’ll have to find another method of birth control. Thanks so much for posting your story and I hope you can get it removed and feel better! 🙂

56. Mirena IUD – Devil In Disguise? » theJAKAfiles on March 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

[…] last straw, and what finally brought all of it together was Kristin’s post.  She really made me see the light.  Made me realize all these things weren’t freak […]

57. Amanda (Garibay Soup) on March 16, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Here’s the messed part of it… you won’t be normal for a while. I honestly 110% believe that the reason I lost my baby in January is because of the mirena… and I had it taken out in 2008! BUT it literally screwed up my hormones SO BADLY that I don’t think they’ve fully gone back to normal.

What you went through I know was so terrifying…. and those heart papilations ACK! I HATED THEM!!! I’m good now, occasionally I’ll have a bouts of anxiety, but thankfully that part is totally gone now.

I’m so sorry that you had to experience this 🙁 Call your doctor ASAP and get that devil out!

58. Jessica on March 16, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I did not experience any of the side effects you mentioned, but did have problems with Mirena. One of the edges broke off and floated around inside of me. My pain was so severe, that I found myself in the Emergency Room pleading for them to remove it. Now I have Paragard and absolutely LOVE it. No side effects, no pain. It’s fabulous!

59. Linda on March 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I had the Mirena IUD for exactly a year, they say to give any new drug 3 months to settle in your body but I think I lasted too long with it. I also haD it removed because I thought I was going psychotic! The mood swings were terrible, I wanted to kill my husband for no reason and the sex drive while on the IUD is null. I decided to switch to the NUVARING, and the mood swings were just as bad, so I removed it right away. Thanks for sharing this, I thought I was the only one. I am now on the pill!

60. Sarah on March 16, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Shut. Up. I can’t believe you’re experiencing that too! I got my Mirena right after having the twins and I feel like I’ve been popping crazy pills ever since. I was given Xanax to quell anxiety and I had a full blown panic attack last night (hence the reason I didn’t get back on Skype). I’m going to look into this. I’ll let you know what I find out.

61. Mrs Cox on March 16, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I have struggled with anxiety for the the better part of 10 years, though for the last 3 my panic attacks have subsided. And I have had Mirena since my 6 weeks postpartum check up and haven’t had any problems with it. I would definitely talk to your doctor, Kristin. I know how panic attacks can completely overwhelm you – feel like you’re not breathing – anxious – ick – I’m so sorry you are having to deal with it. *hugs*

62. fancygrlnancy on March 16, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I am so sorry, that sounds really scary. I have the mirana and have not had any problems. I have had it for 1 1/2 years now. I love that I don’t get my period. I would get it taken out if I had the same side effects as you. I wish you the best.

63. Lindsaydianne on March 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm

My mom has the same one. She had weight gain as well as bleeding, but nothing like this. Definitely talk to your doctor.
    The mirena releases progesterone. You never reacted to the pill, did you?
    This hormone release is what makes the mirena more effective than a traditional IUD, but there is more room for error as well.

Feel better. This is a serious issue. I suffer from this type of episode on occasion and it’s horrifying.
    I’m here if you need to talk, though I know you’re surrounded by people who love you. Sometimes it helps….

64. Laura on March 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I didn’t have an IUD, but I had a pill that gave me some of the same side effects (especially the anxiety). I went off of it and will never consider taking a pill ever again.

65. kim/hormone-colored days on March 16, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Wow. I felt like I was having deja vu reading this. I must have read about it on someone else’s blog. Scary! I hope things return to normal once it is removed.

66. Mel on March 16, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Holy cow Kristin, how scary! i would definitely get that thing taken out. every single drug out there has side effects and if you looks at all of the effects they could have one you, it’s super scary. Not to mention what the wrong combination of drugs can do. It is absolutely frightening!

67. Louise on March 16, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I had all the above too, but not to the degree that you are describing. I had back pain too. The back pain was awful. I recently had a hysterectomy and feel worlds better. (but I had to have that for other health issues)

68. Jackie on March 16, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I couldn’t handle the Mirena either. I’ve always had anxiety issues, so never thought it was due to the Mirena, but it very well could be now that I think about when they got bad. I had sharp pains like menstrural cramps all the time, I finally had it removed when we were ready to have Jaxon, but I will never get another one!

69. Jennifer - Eighty MPH Mom on March 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Oh my – that is horrible Kristin! I am not familiar with IUD’s but if this is happening to other people, it should be recalled. That sounds horribly dangerous and incredibly scary for you! I hope you can get it out asap!